Please click on each church for more information and further photos.
St Giles' Church, Nether Whitacre
Coventry Road (B4098), Nether Whitacre, Warwickshire, B46 2DY
St Giles’ church was probably founded in the Norman period. It must have been altered many times over the centuries and a major rebuilding in 1870 largely created the gothic church we see now. The earliest part of the present building is probably the tower which dates from either the early or middle of the 16th century. The tower is built of locally-sourced red sandstone ashlar and is of two stages.
St Cuthbert's Church, Shustoke
Shustoke is first recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, when it was held by a Saxon, Sot, from Geoffrey de Wirce, a Norman lord. It is very difficult to date precisely the building of a medieval church such as St Cuthbert’s. From architectural evidence it is most probable that the Nave and Chancel were erected during the first thirty years of the fourteenth century, while the Tower and the Spire were added sometime in the following century. Sir William Dugdale, himself buried in the Chancel of St Cuthbert’s, believed that the church was built during the reign of Edward II (1307-27).
The Weathercock was made by Richard Snape the village smith in 1762 at the cost of £2 2s. The Clock was installed in 1921 in memory of those from the parish who had fallen during the Great War.
St Leonard's Church, Over Whitacre
The church of St. Leonard, Over Whitacre, is one of the few Georgian Churches in Warwickshire. It was built in 1765 by William and David Hiorn of Warwick and replaced an earlier chapel known to have existed in 1203. It originally had box pews and the pulpit was halfway along the north wall. The original cupola was replaced by the present spire in 1849.
We are a small but intimate church which supports the whole parish and offers a warm welcome to all.
St John's Church, Lea Marston
Lea Marston Church is dedicated to St John the Baptist; it is about ½ mile from the village along Church Lane, near to Hams Hall. The building dates from the late 13th century, and some of this early church still survives, namely the south wall and some of the north wall of the nave. There was extensive renovation to the church in the 19th century which was carried out by the Adderley family as the church was on their estate of Hams Hall. There are interesting stained glass windows from this time. A more full history of the church can be found by clicking here.
The church serves the villages of Lea Marston and Marston, we are a small congregation with a big warm welcome.